Friday, September 6, 2013

Freshly Baked Madeleines

I've always loved eating madeleines. And after I introduced them to Nathan and Noah, they love it too! Quite often, we'd go to Starbucks for breakfast, and we'd usually buy a small packet for the boys. Several times, they ran out, and they were disappointed. Oh well... we finally decided that since we love madeleines so much, maybe we should try baking them ourselves. 

So there... I scoured the web for some recipes, and finally found one that I liked. The following is adapted from the Joy of Baking. I adjusted the quantities, and this recipe fits on my madeleine tray nicely.

Madeleines 

Makes 10

60g butter (melted)
65g flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 eggs (at room temp)
65g sugar
15g brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

1) Preheat oven to 190 deg C.
2) In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar at high speed until it turns creamy and pale yellow in colour. 3) Add in vanilla essence and beat for a few more minutes.
4) Sift 1/2 of the flour into the batter and fold in. Continue with the other half and fold in gently.
5) Add melted butter. Stirring in gently.
6) Transfer batter to madeleine tray. 
7) Bake at 190 dec C for 20 minutes.

Madeleines make little boys happy
Put it in the oven to cook!

Fresh out of the oven

The best part is, madeleines taste so much better fresh out of the oven! These days, I'd bake it almost every Saturday and Sunday for breakfast. Simple. No fuss. You can choose to double the quantity, bake one batch on Saturday, refrigerate the batter and bake the other half on Sunday.

Tip - get a non stick madeleine tray. costs more but saves you the hassle of greasing the tin. mine glides off so easily!

For teacher's day this year, we baked some to share with the teachers we love. I sure hope they enjoyed it as much as we do. 

Happy Teachers' Day!

Linking up with...

4 comments:

  1. Just last week while out at the devilsh place Phoon Huat, I saw the madeleine tray and was deciding whether to buy or not. Decided not to get it hehehe~ now maybe I should have gotten it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I saw it... I took it and then put it back. Thought it was too expensive. Finally caved and bought it... and we've made over 100 madeleines in the 2+ months that I had it... so I suppose it has paid for itself. :)

      Delete
    2. hi! which Phoon Huat outlet do you go to buy the madeleine tray? and how much was it? :-)

      Delete
    3. Hi, I got it from Phoon Huat at Chip Bee Gardens. I can't quite recall the exact price. About $20 plus I think. But we've made so many madeleines, it is worth it. my most used baking tin.

      Delete