Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Playsets of Yesteryears

The National Parks Board has a roving exhibition of nostalgic playsets at Raffles Place Park (till May 19, 2013). I wanted my boys to see what mommy's & daddy's playground used to look like so we took them there last Saturday morning. So glad we bumped into Delphine and Anya when we got there... so Nathan could ride the see-saw with someone his size. We had a greaaat time!


My favourite item at the playground used to be the swings... just because of how high they let you go... I remember how we just knew not to walk in front / behind the swing lest you get knocked down... but the kids needed to be reminded so many times when we were there. Gone are these swings in today's playsets. Perhaps they are too dangerous? The see-saw was my next favourite... mostly because you needed to ride with a friend, and somedays, there just wasn't anyone who wants to ride with. I found them pretty scary when I was a kid though... I remember them to be much longer than what we saw at Raffles Place.  And the old school biscuits with coloured icing on top... I remember having these for tea as a toddler. These biscuits have stood the test of time... now, almost 30 years later, my kids still enjoy the same snacks... Relive the memories...

Wooden Rocking Horse

A trishaw

A garden swing

The see-saw from another view

Precious old school biscuits

Merry-go-round

Building sand castles

Bring your family down for a fun time at the old-school playground. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun like we did.

The playset of yesteryears will be moving to the following locations:
East Coast Park (June to end July) 
Bishan-Ang Mo Kio Park (mid August to mid-October) 
Singapore Botanic Gardens (November to December)

I do hope it becomes a permanent installation somewhere at the end of the tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment