Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Nathan's Sleeps in His Own Room

Nathan usually sleeps in his own room during his day time naps, and in mommy and daddy's room at night. Now that he's capable of sleeping thru the night, we figured that we can let him sleep in his own room at night too.

In preparation for that, we decided to lower his cot mattress just in case he sits up or stands up on his own when we are not around. Not that he can do any of that on his own presently... but you never know when.

31 Jan is the first night that Nathan will sleep in his own room alone. After his night feed and warm bath, I told him that he's a big boy now, and he'll be sleeping in his own room from then on. I settled him in his cot, and switched off his room lights. We said our bedtime prayers with Nathan, kissed him good night and left him in his cot to fall asleep on his own. That's his usual bedtime routine. He's usually capable of falling asleep on his own without much fuss. That night, I suspect he got confused and wondered why he was in his downstairs cot instead of his upstairs cot. He cried once. Mommy went in to explain that he's sleeping in his own room from now, and assured him that all is well. After a few minutes, he cried again. This time, daddy went in. He fell asleep soon after. At about 3am, I heard him crying thru the baby monitor. I went into his room, tucked him under his blanket, and said, "Nathan, mommy's here". He took one look at me, popped his thumb back into his mouth, and fell asleep soon after. The next time he woke up was at 8am, for his first feed. :)

I didn't expect that it'd be a difficult move as he usually sleeps in his own room in the day, and even when he sleeps in our room at night, he sleeps in his own cot. Maybe it was more difficult for me than for Nathan. I felt a tinge of sadness as I walked back to our room without Nathan. For the last few months, I would carry him to our room after his bath, tuck him in his cot, pray with him and leave him to fall asleep on his own. I could hear him when he sucks his thumb, and could easily check on him in the middle of the night. I felt sad as my baby has grown that little bit older. Old enough to sleep in his own room. It's the same feeling I get each time he hits a new milestone. On one hand, I'm filled with joy that he can now do something new, but at the same time, I'm sad cos he's grown that little bit older. Strange... I wonder if it's just me. Dean doesn't really feel that way. He says they'll be more milestones even as he grows.

After that first night, he didn't cry anymore when I left him in his room the next two nights. He didn't even wake up in the middle of the night to fuss. My baby has really grown that little bit older. *sob*

No comments:

Post a Comment