Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Sleeping Thru the Night - 10 hours

At 14 weeks, Nathan's sleeping 10 hours at night. He's done that 3 nights in a row, and I'm pretty certain that it's for the long haul. He sleeps at 9pm and wakes up at about 7am. After a nice warm bath, I'd settle him in his bed. We'd thank God for the day and pray for ourselves and our loved ones. Thereafter, I leave him alone in his cot, and he falls asleep on his own. Yay! He's stopped waking up at 1am to fuss and does not need the 4.30am feed anymore. Finally more sleep for mommy and daddy. He still wakes up about once or twice in the middle of the night. Thankfully, getting him to go back to sleep is pretty easy. I'd give him his pacifier and say, "Nathan, it's still night time. Go back to sleep...". And he usually falls asleep soon after.

I'm so glad he's sleeping thru the night. As much as we've prayed so much that Nathan will be able to sleep thru by 8 weeks, and read about how a fixed routine and a correct feed-wake-sleep cycle will help babies to sleep thru from as early as 8 weeks, I was still pretty doubtful as I've also heard of babies who still require both their night feeds when they are 15 months old. I'm so thankful that Nathan's able to rest well at night without waking up for night feeds. Another answered prayer. :)

The next step would be to move him into his own room. He sleeps in his own room for day time naps, but has been sleeping in our room (in his own cot) at night. I'm hoping to move him to his own room when he stops needing me to coax him back to sleep in the middle of the night... hopefully by the time he's 6 months old.

No comments:

Post a Comment